Friday, April 5, 2013

Mass Effect (The Finale) ... Or is it?

So once again we play as Shepard the Commander of the ... oh wait ... (s)he's grounded. I guess the Alliance didn't like that (s)he was working with/for Cerberus and sent him to his/her room with no Normandy. However as soon as the game starts INVASION! Remember those nasty Reapers that you tried to warn everyone about in the first game and became a realistic threat in the last one and they still ignored you? Well they actually found a way in the known galaxy and are fucking shit up on earth.

Now not to ruin things, and it's not to say that I didn't enjoy this game. However, this game seemed to have more plot holes than I could fathom and the ending ... Jesus Christ the ending. Certain things from the last few games have been ignored or worked around with some backwards thinking. Like how the Reapers originally were explained to only to go through the Citadel Relay and now they can somehow use a relay in dark space to go into our galaxy.

Now besides the few glaring plot holes that can easily be looked over if you don't think to hard about it ... and the ending ... this game is great. I don't quite think it's as good as ME2, however this game did a very good job at keep my attention and me wanting to play more.

As I believe I mentioned in the ME2 review the game changes the mood again and changes how certain things are done. The game revolves around the war so your group has shrunken down, the RPG elements have changed to fit around it and you are in charge of getting the galaxy together to take down the reapers.

Now putting this all together this game is completely different from the other games, which Bioware seems to keep consistent among the series. Again, I'm not saying this is bad thing it keep the games different and interesting. 

However different this game may be from the others, I have a hard time saying anything about his game without repeating myself about the others. There are RPG elements that have been expanded upon  from ME2, it is still a cover based shooter, the shiny clothing has gotten a bit more in depth than in ME2 but it still can't touch ME1, their are still more side quests than I can count and you are still Shepard teaming up with Garrus.

One thing I can say about this game is don't get too connected with some characters or you will be devastated. I would definitely recommend this game series, it kept my attention, it left me wanting to play more, the characters were very well developed and the game is very well rounded. The ending is disappointing however very ... very disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment